To print the Recipe Card PDF, click the download button at the bottom of this post.
1 large butternut squash
2 sweet potatoes
1 large leek
2 red peppers
1 Chicken stock cube
25g of butter
1 litre cold water
Salt and pepper to taste
How to make it
IMPORTANT - if making this with children always remember Health & Safety, especially with knives, scissors etc.
- Wash your leek, cut off root end and rough green tops and slice.Put the butter in to a saucepan and melt.
- Once melted, turn down heat and add the leeks. Put a lid on and let them ‘sweat’ which means to cook slowly in the butter but not turn brown. Stir as needed.
- Peel your butternut squash, cut in half to remove seeds and then chop in to small chunks – put in a colander.
- Do the same for the sweet potato.Cut the peppers in half, take out the stalk and the seeds and chop in to pieces – put in the colander and wash everything. Let drain whilst leeks finish sweating.
- Once the leeks are soft, add all the other vegetables the stock cube, salt & pepper and water. Bring to the boil and then simmer until all of the vegetables are cooked through.
- Once cooled a little, use a blender to make smooth and enjoy with some nice crusty bread. This soup also freezes well.